What is a quinoa (keen-wah)? For starters, it is a grain crop that is grown for its edible seeds. It’s actually full of nutrients—iron, manganese, magnesium, zinc, and a lot more. While some may say it’s a cereal grain, it’s really a pseudo-cereal. This is very high in protein and fiber; it even exceeds the amount of fiber in most grains. It’s also popular to people with gluten intolerance since it’s gluten-free. They help your metabolism, are high in antioxidants, and may help in losing weight. Intelligibly, these benefits are more than enough to try quinoa.
So how do you cook quinoa in a rice cooker?
First, prepare the following:
Are you ready for the 30-minute quinoa cooking?
1. Note that some quinoa doesn’t need to be rinsed, so check the quinoa package to see if it requires rinsing. If it does, rinse your quinoa. You may use a strainer in this step. Make sure to use cool water for rinsing. Don’t rub too hard, do it gently while you remove the unwanted dirt. Rinsing once is usually enough. If you don’t want to use a strainer, then use a bowl or another utensil.
2. Combine the quinoa and water or broth into the rice cooker. For safety purposes, especially if you’re a beginner at this, I recommend you use water. Unless you know what you’ll use the rice for, you can substitute water with broth to give the rice more savor.
3. Add salt and turn on the rice cooker. After 15 minutes, or when the rice cooker makes that happy melodic sound, your quinoa will be ready to be served. The cooking time may differ depending on the heat technology and amount of rice you’re cooking.
4. Wait for a few minutes before fluffing it carefully with a fork.
5. Transfer it to your rice bowl.
6. Enjoy your 3-4 cups of quinoa!
This serving is enough for about 5-6 people.
If you want to go further, you might want to try this easy one-pot recipe with quinoa:
1. Pour the rice and the quinoa to the rice cooker.
2. Rinse the rice and quinoa. Turn on your faucet and fill the inner pot with water. Gently wash the grains and then drain the water. Continue doing this until the water becomes clearer and less cloudy.
3. Add water. Read your manual regarding the amount of water needed for three cups of rice. If you can’t find any, then add 4 cups of water. This is a classic ratio for long grain rice.
4. Peel and dice the carrot.Wash the kale, remove the spine, and chop it.
5. Add the vegetables to the rice cooker.
6. Add the ¾ tsp of minced onions and garlic salt. Stir thoroughly. Taste and decide whether you need more minced onions and salt.
7. Cover the rice cooker and turn it on. Let it cook for 45 minutes.
8. Transfer to a plate and serve while it’s steaming hot!
To cook three cups of brown rice, you’ll need the following:
1. Identify the number of cups you’ll need.
2. Know the ratio. For brown rice, the ratio is 1:2. That means if you’re going to cook one cup of rice, the water should be two cups. If you’re going to cook two cups of rice, the water should measure three cups, and so on.
3. Put once cup of rice in the strainer or inner pot and rinse it with cold running water. Don’t rub the rice too hard. Rinse it thoroughly under cool water for about 30 seconds or less. Don’t dry it up, though, moist rice grains are fine. Some people don’t rinse the rice anymore, especially if the rice is fortified, domestic product.
4. Soak the rice in hot water for 45 minutes. Transfer the rice to your rice cooker’s inner pot.Add three cups of water and let it soak and soften for at least 45 minutes. Some people soak the rice for up to three hours, but that is actually unnecessary. Soaking will reduce the stickiness of the rice and also helps expand the rice into long, thin grains. If you want your rice to be tastier, you can substitute the water with vegetable broth or chicken broth. The amount of broth should be equal to the amount of water you were supposed to use.
5. This step is optional. Add salt.Sprinkle the soaked rice with salt if you want. This will draw out more flavor from the rice as it cooks. Give the rice a quick stir using a wooden spoon to evenly distribute the salt.
6. Turn on the rice cooker and set the timer. Select the brown rice setting if there is an option for it. If there’s no setting and it only has a timer, set the timer for 30 minutes. Cover the rice cooker. It should remain covered for the whole duration of the process.
7. Check the rice after the first 30 minutes. If the rice is somewhat soupy, cover it again and set the timer for another 10 minutes. The cooking time, however, depends on the model of the product. It will serve you best if you read your manual first.
8. Let the rice stand. Once the timer goes off, let the rice stand for another 5-10 minutes so it can absorb the remaining water (if there’s any) in the pot. Do leave the cover on for this step.
9. If you want, you may add butter and/or soy sauce to add more flavor to your cooked rice. For this recipe, you could add 2 tbsp of butter or margarine or 1 tbsp of soy sauce. Stir thoroughly so that the salt or soy sauce coats the rice evenly. You may do this step after transferring the rice from the cooker to the rice bowl.
10. Transfer the rice to your rice bowl and serve hot.
11. Indulge and enjoy!
Ah, the Weston Pro-2300. This is another honorable mention under the vacuum sealers kitchen category. It does sealing wonders to your domestic meats, game, fish, and vegetables. It’s even perfect for protecting your personal possessions from harmful effects that oxygen or the freezer burn may cause. For its $370 price, you’ll get air-tight sealed food and products in a breeze. It can accommodate sealing bags up to 15-inch wide, which makes the Weston Pro-2300 the largest vacuum sealer in the industry.This durable vacuum sealer has the ability to keep your food fresh for longer, preserving the flavor and quality of your food.
Without further ado, let’s check out its specifications, features, pros, and cons.
|Product Dimensions||15.3 x 23 x 9 inches|
|Item Weight||14.4 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||26.8 pounds|
|Item Model Number||65-0201|
|Customer Reviews (Amazon)||4.4 out of 5 stars|
For sure, you’ll be infatuated with its heavy-duty construction and first-class performance. It features its powerful, double piston pump seal bar that allows the sealer to finish its task like a bat out of hell.With its ease of use, sealing will be a piece of cake you might be addicted to it. All you have to do is press the start button and voila! Sealed! And if you’re sealing delicate or soft foods, there is a manual control setting to allow you to set the pressure. With this feature, you’ll avoid crushing the food.The stainless steel sealer also has a transparent acrylic lid which aids with perfect bag alignment while you’re sealing. The LED lights will also enable you to monitor the stages of every sealing process. Thanks to the features of the Weston Pro-2300, you can be a professional vacuum sealer like no other!
This vacuum sealer comes from the renowned brand, Weston. Weston products are tailored for hunters, gardeners, and food enthusiasts who have a burning passion for farm-to-table and field-to-table foods. In short, this sealer is priced at such a high price because of the quality and performance it brings. The Weston Pro-2300 has 935 watts of power and an extra-long seal bar to ensure that your foods and other items are sealed with a solid, reliable closure every single time. Consistent dependable performance can clearly be seen in this product. Every penny will be worth it since it can do more than just preserve your foods. It even allows you to preserve other valuables like silver or rare coins. The Weston Pro-2300 stores with ease and safely keeps them in an airtight storage.
• Comes from a trusted brand
• Housing is made of stainless steel, therefore it’s durable
• Ideal for home and commercial use
• Features automatic and manual seal modes
• Allows you to seal a variety ofbag sizes up to 15” wide
• Has a see-through lid for easy bag alignment
• Has an LED light for easy monitoring
• Capable of sealing several of bags in one session
• Includes a detachable cord and a built-in storage drawer
• Includes an internal cooling fan
• Rarely overheats
• Its chamber seals are replaceable
• Can accept non-branded bags
• Parts are easy to find
• Made from Taiwan
• Has a two-year limited warranty
• More expensive than other vacuum sealers
• Has no internal bag storage
• No built-in bag cutter
• No accessory port
• Not designed for sealing jars and canisters
• Cannot seal foods with liquid or dry, powdery items (unless you’re extremely, thoroughly careful)
• Cannot seal 100 bags in one session
• Customers liked how it’s quieter than other vacuum sealers.
• The bags it requires are cheaper than what other brands accept.
• Quiet, quick, built like a tank.
• A customer recommended, “If you’re going to seal watery items, or items which can become watery when the vacuum is created (fish, tomatoes, grapes, etc.), it’s a good idea to put the items in the sealing bag, fold the bag over, and place in the freezer for a bit to harden the items up before sealing (folding over the bag minimizes ice crystals).”
• Some said it’s a beast and that it is heavy and large, which is a good thing because it implies quality.
• Customers also loved its ease of use.
• Most of them said it was worth the money and that it won’t disappoint.
• One contented user remarked, “The transparent lid is pretty greatsince you can spot kinks and alignment issues right away.”
• One customer complained, “It’s hard to store, especially if your kitchen is already crowded.”
• Others didn’t like their customer service.
• Another user said, “It doesn’t completely suck all the air out of the bags, especially on thicker or more oddly shaped (not flat) items.”
This may be pricey but if you want your food and valuable items sealed perfectly and they require large sealing bags, then this is the best option. If you want to have custom-sized bags or if you want to seal soups and sauces, this may not be the best choice. If you want a sealer that really sucks—sucks the air out of the bags, of course—invest in this sealer.
I say this is an honorable mention because it’s one of the vacuum sealers that will make you comment, “Incredible!”, “Thumbs up!”, and “World-class!”If you want a unit that does it all and costs less than $150, then I recommend the FoodSaver V4440 to you. With this 10-pound sealer, you can now safely vacuum-seal and freeze vegetables, meats, cheeses, soups and sauces. The included FoodSaver bags and rolls are designed to be sous vide safe so packing food with juices won’t be an issue. It goes without saying, it’s recognition-worthy and kitchen-worthy.
|Product Dimensions||11 x 20 x 12 inches|
|Item Weight||10 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||10.3 pounds|
|Manufacturer||Jarden Consumer Solutions|
|Item Model Number||FSFSSL4440-000|
|Customer Reviews (Amazon)||4.5 out of 5 stars|
The FoodSaver V4440 features a patented, detachable drip tray that’s easy to clean. The clever 2-step process allows sealing and saving quick and easy. Thanks to its Rapid Marinate Mode, you can get marinated food in a matter of minutes. The retractable handheld sealer can also seal zipper bags, containers, and canisters. In addition, it can automatically detect the bags. With this feature, you don’t have to manually hold or close the top cover. With its airtight heat seal feature, you can be sure that the air will be kept out. This is possible because of the multi-layer material heat seals that also prevent freezer burn. You’ll even love the built-in roller cutter that helps reduce bag wastage by enabling you to cut the bags according to the size you prefer.Plus, the FoodSaver V4440 has a built-in convenient roll storage to allow a clutter-free kitchen counter.
Sealing with definitely be fun and space-saving with the FoodSaver V4440. Aside from its impressive features, you can be sure that the food you preserve in each FoodSaver bag is chemical-free. After freezing meats and heating them in your microwave, it would seem like they’re freshly cooked. Nothing maintains the taste and quality of your food better than this one. The type of food you can seal with this one is almost limitless. You can even seal pastries like cookies and muffins because it won’t crush your food while during the process. The versatility doesn’t end there. It even works on other containers like jars and canisters without requiring you to get an accessory hose. It’s clearly a wise investment. Besides, it comes from one of the best brands on the market, so your food will definitely get the vacuum sealing it deserves.
• Versatile (can vacuum and seal bags, containers, and canisters)
• Fully automatic
• Gives an airtight heat seal
• Can marinate
• Has a sleek design
• Occupies minimal space on the kitchen counter
• Fast and economical
• Easy to operate
• Seals delicate foods
• Doesn’t require additional accessories
• Has a removable and dishwasher-safe drip tray
• Allows you to reuse bags up to five times
• Includes a built-in roll dispenser and cutter for making custom-sized bag
• Comes with a starter kit
• Prefers FoodSaver bags
• Not ideal for heavy-duty
• May overheat so you have to give it a downtime of 10-20 minutes before the next sealing session.
• They praised how well it marinates.
• A pleased user reviewed, “The removable tray makes it much easier to keep clean and the switch that allows me to change the seal for either dry or wet food is extremely nice to have.”
• Customers also said there is great suction in the bags.
• The bag storage and cutter on the top make it very easy to cut the size of bag that you will need.
• Another customer remarked, “By removing the air with the food saver, I can make a week’s worth of salads in one batch and the last one at the end of the week is as fresh as the first.”
• They say it’s a must-have item for any household.
• They also lauded its ability to seal all of the knots, seeds, and dried fruits.
• Almost all of the customers loved how the quality of food is preserved for a greater extended period than regular freezer bag method.
• It’s a bit loud according to some customers.
• A customer said it only vacuums completely about half the time.
• Some also mentioned that you have to double seal when bagging for sous vide to be safe.
• One customer complained, “It works but is very slow, even for home use.”
• Another disappointed user said, “It worked great a few times, then the ‘tray is full’ sensor started acting up. Emptying the tray did not solve this issue and the unit will not work when the sensor is activated.”
You’ll probably be upset about the waiting time between the sealing sessions, but all in all, it’s the only major downside it has. There were a few complaints but not all drawbacks were applicable to the product.To sum up, it’s still affordable, sturdy, and an incredible vacuum sealer. If you are opting for a vacuum sealer that gives quality sealing and isn’t so pricey, then trust the reliable FoodSaver V4440.
Vacuum sealing your food is the best way to save space in your kitchen, freezer, and fridge because it only takes up the volume of your food. It also preserves the taste and quality of your food. However, with quite a few costly vacuum sealers on the market, you might wonder if you need one at all. Let me tell you one thing now, throw all your worries and wonder no more because the FoodSaver V2244 is exactly made for you. It’s the best vacuum sealer for the money and the best vacuum sealer for sous vide. Compared to other vacuum sealers, this one is priced at $80 only without compromising the quality. Its notable performance is the reason why it has been crowned as the best seller on Amazon. Read on and you’ll love this lightweight vacuum sealer.
|Product Dimensions||5.9 x 10.6 x 17.7 inches|
|Item Weight||1 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||5 pounds|
|Item Model Number||FSFSSL2244-000|
|Customer Reviews (Amazon)||4.0 out of 5 stars|
The FoodSaver V2244 is small and lightweight, which makes it a lot easier to transfer from one place to another. It also makes storage effortless.This vacuum sealer also features an automatic operation—totally foolproof and offers plain sailing. The manual override allows you to cut the vacuum process off. It can even seal delicate foods like lettuce and fruits. This budget sealer also highlights a removable, dishwasher-safe drip tray that catches overflow liquids whenever it’s sealing food with juices. With the sealer’s extra wide sealing with a double seal, sealing large sized food with the roll of bag material is possible. The integral accessory port of the FoodSaver V2244 allows the included hose to be utilized for the vacuum sealing of jars or FoodSaver vacuum storage boxes as well. Talk about convenience and practicability! If you don’t want to seal bags without vacuuming the air out first, you can do so thanks to the non-vacuum sealing option in this budget sealer.Imagine all these features squeezed in a one-pound appliance! The package also includes five vacuum bags (three qt. size bags and two gallon-sized bags)and a heat-sealing roll of bag material to allow you to make custom-sized bags.
Cooking large portions of food or buying a bulk from anywhere else won’t be a problem anymore. If you can’t finish them, the FoodSaver V2244 will do its job for you. It’s the best partner for preserving food without damaging the food’s color, taste, and quality. Its strong motor works smoothly, rapidly, and quietly. Owing to its one-touch, foolproof operation, it’s recognized as one of the best vacuum sealers for home use. If you want to go further or if you can afford in the future, you can even add accessories for this one. With the FoodSaver Quick Marinator, marinating can be done in a few minutes instead of hours. You can also purchase an attachment hose that allows you to suck the air out of standard, wide-mouth mason jars.
• Extremely affordable
• Easy to operate and store because of its light weight
• Easy to clean since most of its parts are dishwasher safe
• Can seal even delicate foods
• Usable on a variety of containers
• Has a durable construction
• Has a one-year limited warranty
• Its starter kit is perfect for beginners
• Highly popular due to its reasonable pricing and the quality of the end result
• Allows you to reuse the bags (up to five times)after washing them thoroughly
• Best budget vacuum sealer
• Bestseller on Amazon
• Best vacuum sealer for sous vide
• Does not have a built-in cutter
• Works best with FoodSaver sealing bags only or something equivalent
• Warranty doesn’t cover all parts or labor, so you may have to pay for repairs or replacement of the unit
• The unit may seal without sucking the air out first.
• Customers appreciated how light it was.
• A gratified customer reviewed, “The ability to freeze “pre-leftovers” is convenient and saves money. And the quality of the vacuum sealed foods is practically the same as fresh-prepared.”
• This unit is well built and performs very consistently.
• Their customer service representatives are courteous and helpful.
• Another user commented, “A nice feature is that I can push the button for ‘seal-vacuum’ and when it has drawn the air down to the point I want it, I can then push seal and stop it from continuing to pull a vacuum.”
• They loved how it is able to reseal crackers, cereal, and other cabinet foods as well.
• Customers also found the labels on the bags practical as they allow you to write in the day/year it was sealed.
• They said it was so easy to use.
• It takes less than a minute to cool down for reuse.
• Sealing gaskets need to be maintained properly and replaced at least once a year.
• Some say the warranty is useless.
• One customer said, “You have to buy the leak-proof bags for things that have moisture in them otherwise it won’t seal right. Sometimes you have to reseal it twice.”
The FoodSaver is worth the price. It may not have the fanciest features on the market, but it will do the chore it was meant to do—vacuum seal. It’s easy to clean, easy to operate, lightweight, plus, itdownrightsuits your tight budget.