Slow cookers are more versatile than you think. They can cook rice as perfect as the rice you cook when you use your steamer or saucepan. Regardless of whether you’ll cook white or brown rice, the slow cooker can cook each grain perfectly. Others even mix raw rice with other ingredients in a slow cooker to save some time since it would be more taxing to cook the rice separately.
If you want to cook rice, prepare the things you’ll need and just follow the steps below.
1 Tbsp. of butter or margarine
2 cups of rice
4 cups of water
Salt (two-three pinches)
Step 1. Get your butter or margarine and coat the sides and bottom of your slow cooker with it.This will prevent the rice from sticking as it cooks.
Step 2. Add two cups of white or brown rice to your slow cooker.
Step 3. Pour in the four cups of water.
Step 4. Sprinkle with two to three pinches of salt. You wouldn’t want to get your rice tasting too salty.
Step 5. Carefully cover the slow cooker with its lid and set the heat setting to high. White rice will take two hours to cook, while an additional hour will be needed for brown rice to cook.
Step 6. Stir the rice onceduring the cooking time. Do this step gently.
Step 7. Grab a teaspoon and taste your rice and cook for an additional of 10-20 minutes if needed.
Step 8. Voila! You’re done!
If you prefer to cook the rice together with your meal, that would be more practical and time-saving. Follow thisrecipe by livestrong.com.
Vegetable oil spray
4 Tbsp. of unsalted butter or low-fat margarine
1 can of low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
1 can of low-sodium chicken broth
1 can of low-sodium celery soup
1 soup can-full skim milk or water
1 envelope of low-sodium onion soup mix
1 1/2 cups of uncooked white rice
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Step 1. With your vegetable oil spray, spray the sides and bottom of your slow cooker. Like in the previous recipe, this will keep the rice from sticking to the pot as it cooks.
Step 2. Add the soups, skim milk or water, 1 tbsp. of dry onion soup mix, and 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter or low-fat margarine in a saucepan.
Step 3. Stir to combine.
Step 4. Heat the mixture on a stovetop over medium heat. Stir once every minute or until the butter or margarine melts.
Step 5. Again, spray the sides and bottom of your slow cooker with your vegetable oil spray.
Step 6. Add 1 ½ cup of white rice and 2/3 of the soup mixture to your slow cooker. Stir thoroughly to make sure that the soup mixture blends with the raw rice completely.
Step 7. Set the chicken breasts on top of the rice and pour the remaining soup mixture on top of the chicken.
Step 8. Sprinkle the remaining dry onion soup mix over the chicken breasts as well.
Step 9. If you want, use paprika to garnish.
Step 10. Cover your slow cooker and set the heat setting to low. Let the chicken and rice cook for about two hours.
Step 11. Remove the lid and stir.
Step 12. Put back the lid and cook for an additional of 4 to 4 ½ hours. Don’t raise the cover or stir the rice even once this time.
Step 13. Serve while hot!
Remember that cooked rice can stay warm in your slow cooker until two hours after you turn the heat off.
Barbecue ribs + Slow cooker = Perfection
If you want to cook delectable barbecue ribs for your family, you will need a slow cooker to attain perfect barbecue ribs. There are numerous recipes to cook ribs in a slow cooker, but this simple barbecue ribs recipe will make you desire for more.
2 pounds of pork baby back ribs
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons of vinegar
1 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce
1(18oz) bottle of barbecue sauce
1-4 tsp. of hot sauce
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Step 1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2. Season the baby back ribs with salt and pepper.
Step 3. Place it in a shallow baking pan and brown in your oven.
Step 4. After 15 minutes, turnover the ribs and brown the other side for 15 minutes againto drain fat.
Step 5. Mix the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, and oregano in a bowl. Set the bowl aside.
Step 6. Place the ribs in your slow cooker.
Step 7. Add the sauce over the ribs.
Step 8. Turn it over to coat.
Step 9. Putthe heat setting of your slow cooker on low for 6-7 hours.
Step 10. Stir once during cooking time to prevent the ribs from sticking to the sides of the slow cooker and burn.
Step 11. You’re done! Serve with potatoes! Or not!
This recipe is good for four people, but two extremely hungry people can finish this.
Here’s another recipe for ribs, in case you prefer one with only seven ingredients instead of 10.
1½ kg meaty pork ribs
1 bottle barbecue sauce (350g approximately)
2 pork stock cubes
2 bay leaf
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp peppercorn
Step 1. Put all ingredients in your slow cooker except for the barbecue sauce.
Step 2. Put 4 tbsp. of barbecue sauce along with the rest of the ingredients.
Step 3. Pour water on top of the ingredients. The water should be enough to cover the ingredients (about 1.5L).
Step 4. Set the heat setting on low and cook for 8-9 hours or until the meat is tender but not until it falls completely off the bone.
Step 5. Heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
Step 6. Remove the ribs from the slow cooker using tongs or a slotted spoon. Do this carefully so as to avoid the meat from falling off since it will be very tender during this time.
Step 7. Baste the ribs with the remaining barbecue sauce and lay on an oven tray that should be foil-lined.
Step 8. Cook for 20-30 minutes until it’s starting to become crispy on the outside.
Step 9. Serve your perfectly cooked ribs!
The best way to slow cook and have numerous recipes set for you is to have a cookbook. They help you prepare dishes faster and easier. Plus, they have the best slow cooker recipes. So here are the top six slow cookers cookbooks you can buy from Amazon. I will also include the price for your reference.
6. I’ll start off with a unique cookbook. This book is filled with regional southern classics, presenting you Cajun and Creole cuisines. The Southern Slow Cooker by Kendra Bailey Morris is a collection of more than 60 convenient recipes from Black Eyed Peas with Stewed Tomatoes to Country-Style Pork Ribs to Molasses Gingerbread. Get southernized for $14 with her cookbook!
5. Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Family Favorites is priced at $16. This cookbook by Beth Hensperger is your guide to wholesome family meals. Her recipes are kid-friendly, economical, and appealing to adults as well. The recipes are easy to follow and there are numerous, delicious dishes you can cook from Eggplant Parmesan, Maple Barbeque Chicken Wings, to Crock Macaroni and Barbeque Burgers. Her recipes are also budget-friendly.
4. Dana Carpender’s 200 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes presents“Healthy Dinners That Are Ready When You Are!” With this cookbook, you never have to fret about what recipe you should cook next.To date,this cookbook has sold over a million copies worldwide. She presents solutions for the low-carb dieter. She makes potatoes, noodles, rice, and starchy canned soups less boring and more flavorful. This cookbook is priced at $13.
3. Priced at $20, Bruce Weinstein’s The Great American Slow Cooker Book presents 500 easy recipes for every day and every size machine. It has recipes for appetizers, breakfast, main courses, and even desserts. It makes you a master of your own slow cooker. It’s perfect for any slow cooker size—which makes it easy to use. It may be a bit pricey, but with the easy-to-follow procedures, the price becomes worth it.
2. Sarah Olsen’s The Magical Slow Cooker: Recipes for Busy Moms deserves to be on this list because it contains the healthiest meals you can ever eat. And the best part is they are so easy to make! With her recipes and your slow cooker, you’ll get magical flavors you can never resist. Her ingredients are also cheap and the steps are easy to follow. Sarah’s cookbook is priced at $17.
1. I’m sure you can’t wait to know what the best cookbook for your slow cooker is. Well, let me introduce you to Linda. Linda Larsen sure knows a lot about slow cooking. Her Complete Slow Cooking for Two: A Perfectly Portioned Slow Cooker Cookbook deserves the top spot because of her delectable, irresistible slow cooker dishes. With more than 30 years of experience, she sure is the best person to ask about slow cooking especially if they are for two people.The meals she included in this cookbook are so flavorful you might never stop slow cooking. You’ll never get enough of her dishes from sandwich fillings to rich casseroles to decadent desserts.
In order to get the most out of the product, it should be durable to last long and it should have the features you need. One way to avoid having regrets in the end or having to write negative comments on websites about the product you used to like is to buy from a trusted brand. In the industry, there are so many brands offering different styles of rice cookers. However, I have here the top 5 rice cooker brands that will surely give you the best rice cookers on the market. They are alphabetically arranged to avoid favoritism.
1. Aroma – This company strives to design and distribute a line of products that enhance and enrich people’s lives. Because of their creativity and the reliability of their products, they have established their name with pride in the industry.Their other products include electric kettles, ice cream makers, indoor grills, coffee makers, deep fryers, food steamers, toasters, pressure cookers, and recipe books.
2. Cuckoo – Founded in 1978, this Korean company was ranked #1 in National Brand Competitiveness Index (NBCI) nine years in a row by the Korean Productivity Center. Known for their kitchen appliances, this company continues to strive excellence every year. With their innovation, they truly deserve to be on this list. In fact, last 2010, their Electric Rice Cooker was ranked #1 by Korean Customer Satisfaction Index (KCSI), which was awarded by Korea Management Association. Among their kitchen appliances are fermenters, steam cookers, electric kettles, and induction ranges. Under their health care appliance are washers, water purifiers, bidets, and humidifiers. They also offer heaters and electric fans.
3. Panasonic – Panasonic, founded in 1918, offersa variety of rice cookers. Their aim is to help customers realize “A Better Life, A Better World”. This brand is widely known for their innovative electronics technology. Their products, systems, and services that range from consumer electronic products to industrial devices, building products, and housing are all trusted by people around the globe. When we hear this company, it’s impossible not to incorporate technology in its name. Truly, they’re one of the companies that have set the standard for advanced technology in our world today.
4. Tiger – In 2006, Tiger was the first in the industry to release an IH rice cooker which had a ceramic inner pot. They started with their vacuum bottle, which keeps the drink warm. This renowned company based in Osaka, Japan was founded in 1923. Up until now, they still deliver accessible household products for daily living. They also offer electric water heaters, thermal carafes, stainless steel thermal wares, lunch boxes, and many more.
5. Zojirushi – Zojirushi’s rice cookers are among the best ones in the industry. Their rice cookers are not too mushy and not too firm as they claim. Established in 1918 in Osaka, Japan, this company started out manufacturing vacuum bottles. In 1973, their Air Pot® dispenser was launched and they received high acclaim for this push-type beverage dispenser. 10 years later, they introduced the Micro computerized, Micom electric rice cooker/warmer. Aside from their recognized rice cookers, they are also known for their water boilers, coffee makers, bread makers, and thermal carafes.
How does a rice cooker work?
Don’t be surprised. It’s actually simple. The rice cooker starts cooking the rice by heating the water you added in the inner pot. It heats up until the water boils. The steam that circulates inside the closed pot cooks the rice. When a certain point is reached bythe temperature of the inner pot, the rice cooker either shuts off or automatically switches to keep warm mode. Usually, it takes about 20-60 minutes to cook plain rice depending on the heating technology used by the product, the type of rice, and the amount of rice you’re cooking.
Now that you know how it works, let’s discuss the steps on how to cook rice (one cup uncooked).
1. Identify how many cups you’ll need. Basically, one cup (240ml) of white rice can serve two people.
2. Know the ratio. Usually, for white rice, the ratio of the rice to the water is 1:1. That means if you’re going to cook one cup of rice, the water should also measure one cup. However, this may vary depending on the type of rice you’re cooking. I recommend you check your manual. It’s better safe than sorry, so you should check the instructions in your manual regarding the ratio.
3. Put once cup of rice in the inner pot and wash it with running water. Be gentle. Don’t be too harsh in rubbing it. Don’t wash it for too long as well because it will lose its nutrients. Usually, washing twice is ideal. But that depends on the number of unnecessary grains or dirt left. A maximum of three washes is enough. In the last round, be sure to drain the water without losing any rice grains.
4. Add one cup of water. One technique I can share with you to avoid using a cup in this step is to flatten out the rice inside the pot then slowly add water. Measure the amount of rice by putting your middle finger in the middle of the pot so it reaches the bottom of the pot. With your thumb, mark the part of your middle finger that is reached by the rice. Without removing your thumb from your middle finger, place the latter on top of the leveled rice and check if the water reaches the same mark in your middle finger. In the long run, this method makes it a lot easier to add water, especially if you plan to cook more than three cups. However, it’s only applicable if the ratio is 1:1.
5. Place the pot in the rice cooker and if there are other options, choose the white rice setting. Close the lid and let it cook. I recommend you keep it warm for about 5-10 minutes before turning off the rice cooker.
6. Gently flip through the rice using a rice spatula.
7. Serve the rice in a rice bowl.
8. Savor your deliciously cooked and sweet-smelling rice!
If you’re looking for a great rice cooker, then we have a guide here that contains reviews of the best rice cookers.